El Recó de l'Avi

FCB grandfather
INVITES YOU TO

Participate and Win a
free staying-weekend
in our complex.

Participate
The High Berguedá Trek
Instagram Facebook

History

Historia El Recó de L'Avi

In 1974 John and Joan Casals from “Cal Guardiola”, with his wife Joanna and another couple, founded "Reco" The Restaurant "Reco" in the old farm house “Casa Duaner”.

Its origins come from: Recondo, MT. Adj. Which means: Hidden ground and reserved place. Recondite, Reconditus, “Très-caché”,”très-secret”.

The Customs House “Casa Duaner”, gives its name to the hotel opened in 2004. It is a place in order to accommodate visitors and travelers. It used to be a place where travelers and animals stayed before getting throw the Cadí Mountain. This house belongs to La Farga property. It dates back to 1700, where iron used to be worked.

Joan Casals, a really “culé” man, as are known FC Barcelona supporters, used to travel to Barcelona with his son to assist the annual Championship. They were genuine supporters wearing the team shirt. They made an effort to assist there even though at that time was quite difficult due to the great distance they had to drive and the great economic effort they did.

By 1985,on the unlucky European Cup of Clubs final, against Steaua Bucharest in Seville, all members and supporters started calling him FCBarcelona Grandfather.

Since then, he began assisting matches in the Camp Nou and everyone knew the grandfather of the club. People soon started visiting him in his restaurant and taking pictures with him. It came the change of the name of the restaurant. Due to many visitors asked about him as The Culé Grandfather the name of the restaurant changed into Grandfathers Place or Restaurant

In 2010 to celebrate 25th anniversary beeing The FC Barcelona Grandfather, he was given and award at the Gamper Championship. Valentí Castanys had created a carton figure about him, so that year his beloved family thanked him the chance of drawing his character.